Monday, 18 August 2014

#BringBackOurGirls Tragedy


We all know about the tragedy that hit Northern Nigeria on the 15th of April 2014. A deadly and heartless man by the name of Boko Haram abducted about 300 Nigerian ladies only because he personally thinks that education is not for females. I am guessing he knew why he calls himself Boko Haram, because his name means that "western education is a sin." This man is living a sad life. The incident was very alarming and sensitive to every single country,from international people to the local citizens. We all felt that we needed to do something about this issue, I personally feel like strangling this man to death.
The first lady Michelle Obama 

Twitter,Facebook and Instagram became huge platforms for people to use for raising awareness and  letting other people as well as Nigeria know that they are behind them and with them during this tragedy that they face. A #BringBackOurGirls started trending on all these social networks, people started taking 'selfies' with a board written '#BringBackOurGirls' and started posting or uploading them on facebook,twitter and instagram. Which I personally think worked well because not a single minute or hour passed without someone posting a selfie and by doing this it was consistent and stayed in the peoples faces and minds that there still is a tragedy that is facing Nigeria.
 Famous actress Salma Hajeck

The #BringBackOurGirls trend of selfies spread from your next door neighbour to the first lady Michelle Obama. Michelle Obama and Angelina Jolie started the bring back our girls name and then obviously we know that social media had to take over,which I think was not a terrible move or idea. Humanitarian Organisations such Amnesty International and UNICEF got themselves involved in the Bring Back Our Girls Campaigns, but somehow I think that they did not do what humanitarian organisations should do at such a time during such a tragedy.

I received a google alert a couple of days ago informing me that Soweto sisters were deeply touched after they heard about the tragedy that happening in Nigeria. They then had a campaign and a Bring Back Our Sisters walk on the 14th of May, that is when it really hit me that religion is something that the entire country takes seriously. I read an article where a 18 year old young lady was interviewed and she stressed the fact that changing someones religion is a huge no no. It was alarming for me because most young adults would not mention the things this young lady did.  There is a Facebook page,a Twitter handle and an Instragram account created for this cause for us to contribute and show our support to finding the ladies.

I have to point out how important media and PR strategies are in getting a message across,either locally or internationally. In this case I would say that they used all the channels to their advantage and in a very effective way,because without media how would we show support and how would we know about the tragedy?

The link that I have posted below is a little something special for you to watch, a video that I have put together. I hope that you do enjoy.    
 http://www.magisto.com/video/aU4DIQIZBGltQEFnCzE?trydeeplink



7 comments:

Siyamthanda Phillip said...

This has been such a hard time for the people of Nigeria, especially the parents of the abducted girls who are still missing.However Id like to raise a point, Boko Haram is a terrorist group and the leader is Abubakar Shekau .

Unknown said...

Thank you Siyamthanda for the correction,much appreciated

Richmond Sajini said...

What is shocking now is that 100 boys have been abducted by the very same terrorist group. Shocking!

Unknown said...

I agree Richmond it is shocking,I guess first time around for the country was not a lesson learned.

Unknown said...

This is a very sensitive issue. I cannot begin to imagine what the girls and their families are going through right now. I ask myself if the girls have meals everyday, if they have water and other basic needs are met. I personally think its time the girls come home, Boko Haram has made its mark and we are aware of their thoughts against girls getting an education and all but they must just come back now its been too long.

Unknown said...

Now imagine Leshoko if these are thoughts that you have, now imagine the thoughts ofnthe parents. Is my daughter even alive?

Unknown said...

Now imagine Leshoko if these are thoughts that you have, now imagine the thoughts of the parents. Is my daughter even alive?